Sunday, July 6, 2014

Urban Farming Externship

Hi All -

As some of you may know, I'm attending Southwest Institute of Healing Arts. I'm majoring in holistic nutrition and urban farming. As part of my urban farming program, I'm required to complete an urban farming externship by picking a project to do on my own so I have some real experience! I've chosen to prepare my raised beds to grow and harvest my own food by using the wicking method.

Wicking a raised bed is essentially creating a reservoir below the soil to water plants from below. It's a great idea for raised beds in Arizona, where I live. It prevents unnecessary evaporation that occurs when you water from the top.

In the coming weeks, I'll be posting a weekly update of my progress. My goals for next week are to break up the soil beneath the raised beds, research wicking methods, and create a supply list. I hope you enjoy my journey! Below is a "before" picture.

Much love!


2 comments:

  1. Awesome.
    I look forward to seeing these beds be nurtured :)

    As you well know by now, I am a huge fan of wicking beds in the desert in our urban lots. I just taught a friend about them and she installed them and left for 12 days. . . . . Everything survived in the wicking beds - and the other ones in regular containers fried!

    Looking forward to your project -
    Torrie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's amazing! I'm a bit nervous about such a big project, but I'm super excited for the end result!

      Delete