Sunday, July 20, 2014

Urban Farming Externship - Week 3

Well, my update this week isn't too exciting, but the digging is complete! We now have two nice 4 foot by 4 foot by 1 foot holes dug for our reservoirs. :) Now that the hard part is complete I'll get to have some real fun! (..and you'll get to see pictures that are a bit more interesting!) I did more research today on the specific parts needed for the piping. I attempted to go online and pick out all the parts in advance, but this proved to be an overwhelming task, so I jotted down a sketch of the individual parts to take in the store with me.

My main concern at this point is how we're going to put in the overflow since our reservoir is below ground. I came up with two options:

1. Put in the gravel in higher than ground level, drill a hole in the wood, and insert the overflow pipe there. This method would require the beds to be raised a bit more, perhaps another 3 inches or so. 

2. Put in the gravel only to ground level and dig out a little inlet (or outlet?) on the outside of the bed. We could insert an overflow pipe here, then stop watering once the water begins to drain out.

Here are my goals for next week:

  • Purchase liner and all piping parts for the reservoir and assemble them.
  • Find a free load of gravel for pick-up and bring it to our house. Most free loads that I see require you to bring a shovel and collect it yourself, so the shoveling may not be over just yet!

Here's a picture of the progress so far:


2 comments:

  1. Use your overflow as a resource.
    Maybe plant something right where the over flow is so that the little bit of water that spills out when watering can water something :) Just a random idea.

    Oh yeah, also - you want to let the reservoirs dry out before adding more water ... I recommend 1 inch pipe or even 1.5 inch PVC so you can look down inside and see if there is water in the reservoir or not, if not - water away... if so, wait a few days.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love that idea! Thanks for the pointers, as always! :)

    ReplyDelete