Sunday, October 12, 2014

5 Ways I Brought Happiness Into My Life

It’s sometimes hard for me to believe where I am today. I was once a very unhappy and cynical person. Today, I’m the complete opposite of the person I was five years ago. I’ve replaced judgment with compassion, negative thoughts with positive mantras, and a negative outlook on life with acceptance and optimism. I won’t lie, changing negative thought patterns can be a lot of work and a lot of conscious thinking, but it is possible. There is a happier way to live life. Here are five ways that I overcame negative thinking and brought positivity and happiness back into my life.

1. Gratitude

The first thing I do when I’m irritated, having a bad day, or just need a pick-me-up, is to pull out a piece of paper and a pen. Write down five things you are grateful for. It doesn’t matter how big or small they are. It can be anything from the coffee sitting on your desk to a family member you’re extra thankful for that day. What matters most is that you recognize what you have and you are thankful for it. Go through your list and reflect on each item. Imagine your life without it. How has it helped you? Why do you like it? What about it brings you happiness? After practice, gratitude will be second nature and gratitude is the foundation to happiness!

2. Meditate

Meditation has been shown to lower stress and induce calm. With time, mediation trains the mind to be less reactive to situations and thoughts, bringing a sense of calm into all areas of your life. Make time to meditate. It doesn’t matter if it’s for 5 minutes or an hour, what matters is that you begin. For tips on beginning a mediation practice, see my post here.

3. Nature

Another of my quick-fixes for a bad day is to spend time in nature. As creatures of the Earth, nature is our home! Just a few minutes in it can bring peacefulness back into your day. Try to eat lunch outside, go for a walk, or open up a window. When you’re outside, even if just walking to your car, notice the life around you. Another great exercise is to sit outside and immerse yourself into one natural thing. It could be a bee on a dandelion or the leaves dancing on a tree. Notice the bee. What shape are the leaves? Really notice, like you’re trying to memorize every aspect of that bit of Earth. Feel the calmness wash over you.

4. Adopt a Mantra

A mantra is a short word or phrase that is repeated to facilitate change. You want your mantra to empower you, move you, and encourage you to move forward with happiness in your life. Tape it to your computer, your bathroom mirror, or by a light switch. Say it every day, multiple times a day. Make it your reality! My favorite mantra is “I am actively becoming a better me!” I am, and so are you!

5. Find the Good in Everything and Everyone

Similar to naturally finding gratitude in your day, naturally finding the good in life can come from practice as well. When faced with a negative situation, find one good thing to accept and be happy for. When interacting with someone you may not particularly like, find one positive thing that’s wonderful and unique about them. These seemingly small thoughts pave the way to becoming a compassionate, non-judgmental person.

There are countless other ways to bring happiness into your life. These are just five ways I brought it into mine. Wishing you love and happiness.


No comments:

Post a Comment