Wednesday, July 16, 2014

A Lesson in Gratitude

Despite being known for their inaccuracy, I check the weather reports daily. Living in Arizona, I get excited at the slightest chance of rain. I love rain, storms, and the pretty sunsets made after a cloudy day. The past couple of weeks have been a rarity by Arizona standards; we’ve had a chance of rain and clouds nearly every day for over a week. After doing my obligatory weather check yesterday evening, I found myself disappointed. It looked like the cloudy days were gone, only to be replaced by the typical hot summer days without a cloud in the sky.
About two weeks ago, I began bird watching. Like most of my hobbies, I jumped in head first. Unlike most of my hobbies, I fell head over heels in love, enough to wake up earlier in the mornings just so I could grab my notebook, bird book, and binoculars to catch a glimpse of who was visiting that day.
This morning, I wasn’t too excited. I woke up, looked out my window, and saw nothing but blue, endless sky. “Ugh. The Arizona summer is back.” I thought. Still, I got up, got ready, and went outside. It wasn’t long before I heard the pleasant chatter of a nearby hummingbird. I quickly grabbed my binoculars to get a closer look. Wow! There he was, sitting up on a wire. The first thing I saw was a bright flash of magenta in the sunlight. He seemed to know I was looking as he jumped from wire to wire, colors dancing and glinting in the bright morning sun. I had no idea that something so dazzling and beautiful could be found in my desert backyard. In that moment, I didn’t miss the clouds or the rain. I was filled with gratitude and joy for the bright sunlight that allowed me, for the first time, to see the beautiful colors of an Anna’s Hummingbird.
It was a beautiful reminder from Mother Nature. Be grateful. Find the good in every day. There’s always something to be thankful for.

No comments:

Post a Comment