Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Finding a Balance Between Technology, Nature, and Life

Technology is amazing and can benefit your life in multiple ways – I’ll be the first to admit it – but what do you do when you catch yourself obsessing over your phone or laptop? I've recently noticed a series of unhealthy patterns in my behavior that are leading me to make some changes in my life. For example, it’s difficult for me to sit and watch a movie or a television show without picking up my phone. When did I stop being able to enjoy a movie? My first thought when seeing a pretty flower is to take a picture, not enjoy it. Reading sessions are interrupted by phone-checking and walks outside “have” to go hand-in-hand with music or a podcast. I'm not alone. Various articles discussing the subject have popped up all over the internet. Guys, it's time for a change.

Last Sunday Matt and I went to the Riparian Wildlife Preserve in Gilbert. It’s one of my new favorite places to go as it’s completely free and a wonderful spot to bird watch! Normally, I’m identifying and documenting birds or taking pictures of beautiful things I see to share afterwards, but there was one point where I wasn't doing either, and it’s the part of the day I remember with the most clarity and enjoyment. We were sitting on the edge of the lake, and four geese came right up on shore. It was obvious that these geese were used to a human presence. There Matt and I sat and just watched the geese. Granted, I took a few pictures because I couldn't resist, but towards the end, it was simple observation and enjoyment for what was around me. I noticed how the goose’s bill was so strong – he/she was pulling up grass growing out of the water and devouring it. I noticed the orange around his eyes, the webbing on his feet, the way he was enjoying this Sunday as much as I. I noticed that his friend preferred the taste of dried grasses to fresh – and that he was clearly like “What the heck?!” when he realized all his buddies left him to go back in the water before swimming out to rejoin them. We were so still that a rat or rodent of some kind came up pretty close to Matt and just nibbled on something while we sat and watched. Plenty of us have thought "ugh!" at the mention of a rat, but how many of us have actually watched a rat in it's natural habitat, just living life? How many have taken the time to see it for what it is - a life? A life that can feel, walk, distinguish food from the inedible, sense danger and run. A being that can fear, breathe, and enjoy a moment. 

How many of these experiences had I missed in the past due to looking at my phone?

This afternoon, I came home to see that the finches finally found the food we had hidden away for them in a tree by our bedroom window. Yes – I took a picture, but then I sat. I sat and watched them eat, bicker, and play while I sipped my tea. I noticed the scent of the tea; I enjoyed it. I noticed that it was really a family of house finches. I saw the “dad” stand aside and let the young ones eat the feed. I saw another family on Earth, enjoying their day.

This is connecting with nature. This is what my life is about. These are the moments that make it so important that I put down my phone or log off the computer. My Facebook is currently deactivated, and no, it probably won’t stay that way, and I’ll continue to use the apps that make my life easier. I’ll continue to share pictures on Instagram because I do enjoy sharing beautiful things with others, but then I’m going to put down the phone. I’m going to live life through my own eyes – not the screen of my iPhone. I'm going to enjoy the moments in my life that I'm so blessed to have. 

Here are some things I want to do differently – feel free to share if you have any suggestions or tips you’d like to add!

1. Schedule a technology-free day/evening. No phones, no computer – just enjoy the moment.

2. Facebook Detox – It sounds silly, but it’s not! Many people are truly addicted to social media. Schedule a week-long “detox” to give yourself a break; you might be surprised what you realize!

3. Enjoy the world through your own eyes, not a camera lens. This one is going to be the hardest for me. I get really picture happy when I see pretty things! But you know what? I usually end up regretting it afterwards because I feel like I missed out! It’s been proven that our clearest memories are made when we aren't taking pictures!

4. No phones or computers during movies or TV shows. Isn't the enjoyment of one technology enough? Being on my phone at the same time means I’m not enjoying the movie or my phone, which is just wasted time.

5. Meditate. It’s just good for you! It trains your brain to slow down and enjoy the moment, which is what this post is all about!

                                                                                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment