Sunday, August 31, 2014

DIY - Magical Bottle Cap Candles

These little candles are easy and fun to make! They burn anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half, so they are perfect for when you need a small dose of positivity, magic, or just a pick-me-up! I put mine on my meditation altar to burn while I meditate, but they'd be great as emergency candles, outdoor candles, or even for a relaxing bath. 


To make, you'll need:

  • Bottle Caps - Chose caps that aren't dented or damaged in any way. 
  • Wicks - I took the wicks out of cheap dollar-store tea lights. It was way cheaper than buying them at the craft store and I wasn't going to use them; I try to only use soy or beeswax candles in my home. 
  • Soy Wax - You can use any kind of wax, but I used soy for mine. 
  • Essential Oils - I made two different scents: sweet orange, which is an uplifting, positive, joyful oil, and lavender, which is calming and peaceful - but you can pick any oil to suit your soul! 
  • Spoon
  • Double Boiler or Similar - I just put a small glass dish in a pot and called it a day! :)
  • Glitter - You can't have magical candles without glitter! 
  • Newspaper
Step 1

Pour water in your double boiler - enough that it'll heat the contents of your bowl, but not enough to fill the bowl. Bring up to medium heat, then turn on low. 

Step 2

Pour wax into the bowl. I added about 20 drops of essential oil - but this is dependent upon personal preference and the scent you choose. 

Step 3

Stir slowly until all the wax has melted.

Step 4

Add one drop of wax into each bottle cap. Press your wick into the wax to secure it while you fill the bottle cap. 


Step 5

Using your spoon, gently pour the melted wax into each bottle cap. 

Step 6

Before the wax hardens, sprinkle a pinch of glitter onto each candle. As you do this, visualize all the joy and positivity these candles are going to bring as they burn!

Step 7

After the wax hardens, trim your wick to about 1/4" before burning. 


Use caution when burning. Since these are so tiny, they will get hot! I have mine set up in a candle holder filled with Himalayan sea salt for a cleansing effect on the whole room!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment